Submit a Story
News
Terms and Conditions
Register
CB Login

AR Search Engine - Search this selected other AR/AP sites Powered by Google

AR Archive Discussion Board
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Dreamtales New Comic Crybaby (1 viewing) (1) Guests
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Dreamtales New Comic Crybaby
Alec Leamus (User)
Gold Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Dreamtales New Comic Crybaby 1 Month, 2 Weeks ago Karma: -13  
Greetings!

I just wanted to chime in here and say how much I enjoyed part one of Crybaby. This is Dreamtales' new comic _base_d on the old Superman, more specifically Lois Lane's The Crybaby of Metropolis. That comic is a classic. In fact, you can download the original comic on Dreamtales' site for free. The original comic contains classic elements of age regression: female rivalry, conflict, clear motivation and believable circumstances. (That is of course if you buy into the whole scenario in the first place.)

Dreamtales has long been fascinated by this tale and we have seen it play out many times in his various comics. However, here the story is directly _base_d on the original influence. These are well developed characters that have been _embed_ded into our collective psyche.

If given a choice to read an age regression comic about female characters that inhabit Superman's world versus a similar new comic I would choose the former. Perhaps that is the traditionalist in me. But I think it plays into my above assertion.

That is what made this comic so enjoyable. Further, I really enjoyed the various artists. However, I would have liked it more had there been a bit more art work from each of them. I really enjoyed the extra cover redo by the original 1958 artist. I wish there had been more in this _style_ from this artist.

And under the heading of showing more I do understand that propriety prohibits showing too much but I would have enjoyed it had that line been pushed a little further.

I found the comic easy to read. The shifting _style_s did not bother me at all. The plot follows a similar path as the original with some departures. BoJay's art is good but I did not like the cover. It is too busy. BoJay always wants to add every joke and pun he can think of into one panel. Luckily it is only the cover so not to worry.

Yuan's art made me want to buy the comic. Yuan is responsible for Flu Shots, Yard Work and Little Joker to name a few. There is an energy in the art work.

My one complaint is the breaking up of the story. In a comic like Yard Work it makes sense. It is more of a saga involving various types of transformations. But with this comic we know the story and I _object_ to having it being broken up into parts. I understand the reason but it feels a little mercenary.

Bottom line is that I cannot wait for the next part. If you haven't bought a comic from Dreamtales in a while I do recommend this one.

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  

- Alec Leamus
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
vended (User)
Platinum Boarder
graph
Re:Dreamtales New Comic Crybaby 1 Month, 2 Weeks ago Karma: 7  
We sure have seen it play out many times in his various comics.

doctor anguish (User)
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Dreamtales New Comic Crybaby 1 Month, 1 Week ago Karma: 5  
To be honest, I'm surprised it took him this long to get to it.

Not really my thing, but I'm not the audience he's going for and I'm sure there are plenty of people who love it. Of course he's altered the original story a bit to play to his interests; he generally has a scenario where one character, usually a woman, steals another's potency so that she becomes bigger and more powerful while the other grows smaller and weaker. So of course he's going to have Lana involved from the start.

And I'd defend his dividing the story into chapters and serializing it. The main reason for even doing this kind of 're-write' story is to expand on the original and add stuff that was left out before.

Finally, several people have suggested he have a scenario where Lois 'gets even' with Lana or something where Superman shrinks or gets AR'd. That's up to him, of course, but it might be a problem finding a way to do a Lana AR without just rehashing the same story. One idea I played with was a variation on 'The Marriage of Superbaby and Baby Lois.' Lois finds a way to de-power, then AR and/or shrink Superman, intending to rush him to a justice of the peace and marry him while he's helpless to resist. Lana learns of the plan and points out how difficult it would be to convince a judge to marry a mini-Superboy to an adult woman. Seeing the logic in this, Lois ARs and/or shrinks herself so she's the same size as him. Problem is, not only has she lost her advantage over Superman, but Lana is able to grab him and sets out to follow Lois' original scheme, taking Lois along as a witness. But when she gets to the judge, she finds out he really ISN'T willing to marry them. With no other choice, Lana zaps herself down and the two girls fight while mini-Superboy and the judge, really a friend come to his rescue, look on.

I doubt he'd care for this scenario but there are any number of other stories he could expand on for Superman AR: the aforementioned 'Marriage,' 'the Babe of Steel,' 'Lois Lane's Revenge on Superman,' 'Lois Lane: Super-Babysitter,' etc.Weisinger was always rather reluctant to let Superman lose his dignity or let Lois get the upper hand. It'd be such fun to change that.

Still, it's all Dreamtales' decision. And I suspect he can't churn out too many Superman stories without risking legal trouble. We'll see what happens.

doctor anguish (User)
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Dreamtales New Comic Crybaby 1 Month, 1 Week ago Karma: 5  
Oh, and of course I have some ideas for superhero AR stories of my own but they'd be in prose and they'd depend on when the site's back up and how it's set up for posting stories.

Alec Leamus (User)
Gold Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Dreamtales New Comic Crybaby 1 Month, 1 Week ago Karma: -13  
Cool ideas. Thanks for sharing.

- Alec Leamus
sawhorse (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Dreamtales New Comic Crybaby 1 Month ago Karma: 0  
I'd love to know what type of ideas you have for superhero ar stories. I've been making some altered covers of Superman comics on Deviantart, ar, shrinking, things like that. https://www.deviantart.com/wamprat

Go to top Post Reply