News
Terms and Conditions
Register
CB Login

Home arrow Discuss

AR Search Engine - Search this selected other AR/AP sites Powered by Google

AR Archive Discussion Board
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:Story Upload Issues (1 viewing) (1) Guests
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Story Upload Issues
TerinasTiger (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Story Upload Issues 3 Years, 12 Months ago Karma: 0  
First of all, hello everyone reading this! I'm new to the AR Archive, just got my account approved a little while ago! Nice to meet everyone here!

Anyway, onto business. I attempted to upload a story I was working on, Jungle Nursery, in several chapters. In the first one, the Prologue, although it showed all the text in the upload inside my "My Stories" when I tried to edit it, looking at what was publically dispalyed only showed the first 2563 or so words of what ended up being about 5000 words in length. I don't know why it did that, but I tried uploading the prologue twice and it did it both times.

I was just attempting to cut-and-paste from a Google Docs thing, so that might have been the problem somehow? I dunno. Has anyone had problems like that before?

I don't think it hit some kind of upwards wordcount maximum because I've seen other stories on this site that are much longer, and it still SAVED everything after the first 2563 words, it just wouldn't display it.

Also, I uploaded the second part, en_title_d "Jungle Nursery: Jacob" and it displayed the full 4000+ words in that bit.

I tried uploading the third bit, "Jungle Nursery: Marcus", and it said I DID hit a word limit there. Not surprisingly, since that's the longest one.

So I guess I have two questions:

1) Has anyone else had the display issues I described here before with the prologue?

2) Is there an upwards word limit on stories uploaded to the AR Story Archive?

I have since pulled the story down since it makes no sense with the prologue arbitrarily shortened, but can re-upload if so desired...

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
RegressingAger (User)
Gold Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Story Upload Issues 3 Years, 12 Months ago Karma: 7  
Did you follow this guide at all? http://www.ararchive.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=23

It helped me get situated when I posted my first story on here. It is surprising to hear that you hit some kind of word limit because I wasn't aware one existed. Are you sure you're pasting your text into the right box?

Last Edit: 2017/01/31 19:29 By RegressingAger.
TerinasTiger (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Story Upload Issues 3 Years, 12 Months ago Karma: 0  
I followed these instructions on the page you _link_ed and re-uploaded the Prologue of the story, "Welcome to the Jungle... Nursery". I specifically did this on my computer this time, instead of on my iPad as well, to eliminate any extraneous variables.

It cut the story off at the same point. It's meant to end at "And then the three men went their separate ways, into the steamy, humid house." but when I look at it in the Stories section that anyone can publically see, it ends earlier, at the sentence "Enjoy, and keep warm out there! We recommend snuggling up against multiple bodies to share body heat."

I don't really know what's going on. Is it just me seeing it being weird? It shows the right wordcount, and when I go to EDIT the story, it shows all of it. It just cuts it off midway through if I attempt to read it like a general user would.

vended (User)
Platinum Boarder
graph
Re:Story Upload Issues 3 Years, 12 Months ago Karma: 8  
Do you happen to use any sort of special symbol ?

For example, dialogs are usually shown "with those" or, if you copy paste from some Word-like document, with something ressembling two triangle lacking one side and pivoted away from the text.

Yet I know from experience that on the ARchive using them, either the simple or the double, simply cut away the rest of your text after it.

I discovered it some long time ago when trying to make a certain smiley.

Obviously, I can't use it to show you what symbol I'm talking about, and I'm on mobile so no screenshots, but it's the one used for the eyes in this : except pivoted 90 degrees.

TerinasTiger (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Story Upload Issues 3 Years, 12 Months ago Karma: 0  
Thaaaaaat did it. I had a to form a heart, and it cut off everything after it. Thanks for the tip!

vended (User)
Platinum Boarder
graph
Re:Story Upload Issues 3 Years, 12 Months ago Karma: 8  
You're welcome. I'm glad we've got to see your writtings.

Last Edit: 2017/02/01 17:34 By vended.
Go to top Post Reply