News
Terms and Conditions
Register
CB Login

Home arrow Discuss

AR Search Engine - Search this selected other AR/AP sites Powered by Google

AR Archive Discussion Board
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Short blackout
vended (User)
Platinum Boarder
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Short blackout 1 Year, 3 Months ago Karma: 7  
Sebtomato wrote:
OK, so we're archiving the ARchive, got it.
Saving up your favorite stories =/= saving up the whole website.

That or you have some reaaally wide tastes.

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
tejay123 (User)
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Short blackout 1 Year, 3 Months ago Karma: -11  
I... don't understand the subtle arguments going on here.

I mean, I understand you guys are sort of questioning who's archiving what, but I think we are all responsible for saving anything and everything we like; websites disappear. Prepare for it.

I got online with my first computer in 1995, and started finding stories I like soon after, and writing my own for a few sites.

From the start, I've put all my own stuff in a folder, and saved via cntr/s "as html" or whatever, every full story I've ever read that I liked. And then a backup of them all.

I've maintained that pile of stories for decades; it started as floppys, then ZIP disks, then thumb drive, and now the folder sits on my computer and on a backup little hard drive. Around 20,000+ stories. I don't need them... many I'll never re-read... but many I love and will re-read once in a while.

I just think library maintenance (your own!) is just... expected. I can't imagine 'losing' a story I wrote or enjoyed reading. Takes 5 seconds to save it to file.

And I've never believed *any* website will last. This one is one of the very longest-lived in my list of story sites.... maybe Fictionmania rivals it, or the original BigCloset, ASSTR comes to mind, but 98% of websites _b_link__ out of existence one day before you were gonna copy that cool story you love.

Save everything, and flash/mirror/whatever it to a removable drive monthly. Stories take up next to no room. You'll never worry about losing stories again.

vended (User)
Platinum Boarder
graph
Look like we agree.

Would you be open to sharing your AR file? Maybe you've got some lost gems like many of the ols Libra's stories. Sound interesting anyways if you've been backing up for so long. If so, I will send you my mail by PM.

Last Edit: 2018/08/01 13:44 By vended.
Sebtomato (User)
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Short blackout 1 Year, 3 Months ago Karma: 646  
I don't think anyone's arguing. And we all love the ARchive. I don't save other people's stories, because...I don't wanna. Sounds like we're making our own choices, so that's cool. Definitely not cause for "X/Y/Z is killing the ARchive" kind of discussion

tejay123 (User)
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Short blackout 1 Year, 3 Months ago Karma: -11  
Glad to hear it, Seb! And yeah, I get folks having a bit of icky feeling re. my (or anyone) saving other people's stories as I find them, but... well, it's just so easy to save 'em, and it's a private collection (I'll never archive them online), and so many pop into my head and I know for sure I'd never find a story I read a year ago, much less 10 years ago, so I "have to" save everything. Maybe I'm a horder… thank gosh it's something that doesn't make a mess!

vended wrote:
Look like we agree.

Would you be open to sharing your AR file? Maybe you've got some lost gems like many of the ols Libra's stories. Sound interesting anyways if you've been backing up for so long. If so, I will send you my mail by PM.

I'd be glad to look through my stuff for any stories you are hunting. Couple things though... I'd not send you the folder. It's an ungodly mess of folders and filetypes (pdf, txt, doc, rtf, htm, html, some in old formats), plus there are a great many that are in genres totally unrelated to AR.

But anyway, I'll hunt for anything through the mess .

vended (User)
Platinum Boarder
graph
The notification system is still broken, but I sent you a message.

If you've got anything by Libra that isn't there, I sure would be very glad to see it.

Last Edit: 2018/08/03 00:48 By vended.
Go to top Post Reply